Monday, February 1, 2016

Happy Valentine's Day

KITCHEN NOTES


Due to some personal and family obligations there will be no new items listed for the month of February. 

However, I will return in March with plenty of Easter and spring inspired foods- both sweet and savory.  Look for an update at the beginning of March with a menu list and hopefully some pics too- all at that time.  I'm hoping to include an historical doll in the spotlight for March as well. 


          
             MAKING VALENTINE MEMORIES

In honor of St. Valentine's Day I thought I would share with you a recent custom project I completed for a client.  We both love the way it turned out and she most graciously and very generously agreed to share the story and meaning behind the request.

When my client messaged me in early January requesting a Valentine cookie cake - my first thought was- well, yeah! Her request is my favorite kind- the kind where I think- hey why didn't I think of that? I immediately knew it was something I could execute.  





She explained to me that every single Valentine's day for each of the 37 years of their marriage her mother has bought a large heart shaped cookie cake for her dad.  Over the years sometimes her mom would let her help pick out the cookie's design and everyone would share in the treat.  Last May my client married the man of her dreams and she intends to follow the same sweet tradition for her new husband.  I thought it so fun and very sweet that she should want a mini version so that her dolls can enjoy in the Valentine tradition too!







I used the heart shaped pizza pan from American Girl's Pizza Party Set as my base or template.  She can use the pan to serve or to display the cake.  



And by the way...the Blokus game that comes in this set made the price tag for it all worth every penny to me.  It's a tiny version of the real thing- with little block pieces in different colors and a game board that you can actually play the game on!  I've played several rounds with my 11 yr old. Pretty awesome.  

Alright, back to Valentine's Day.  I thought it appropriate that I photograph Samantha with the cookie cake- in spite of a clear lack of cookie cakes around at the turn of the twentieth century.  :) Rather, it's the Valentine aspect and the fancy pink flowers that drew me to choose her.  The Edwardians and Victorians did not invent St. Valentine, nor the idea of giving cards or gifts on one special day.  No, but they certainly did popularize and commercialize it.

Read more here about the history of Valentine's Day.  Probably more than most people care to know about the very ancient lore behind the holiday.






This custom project truly was one of my favorites to date to take on.

As for other custom work- please keep in mind that I am only able to take on custom requests like this - for things I have not featured on my blog or in my shop before.  I have this policy in place and it serves several purposes:  

-keeps me from becoming overwhelmed with requests
-gives potential clients the opportunity to add a unique piece to their doll collection
-frees up my time to experiment on new ideas (even though sometimes they fail miserably)
-gives me the chance to work on projects that I might not have otherwise given thought to

Happy Valentine's Day!
Teresa

8 comments:

  1. I always look forward to your releases!
    I've always wanted to get something from your Etsy from my birthday, but your shop closes in May and my birthday is in May.
    The cookie cake is beautiful, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that the break this month serves you well and that you end filled with joy! You give so much to us, your loyal fans, that you being in distress is even sadder. May you rise to the task at hand and conquer all! Be well and come back stronger. You will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh- your words are too incredibly kind- and moving . But please don't read my family and personal obligations as me being in distress. I just have so many things going on this month and at the moment- too many to juggle all at once. And truthfully I stink at trying to divide my attention successfully, so it's best I lay focus on only a few at a time. Thank you so much for your compassion and very thoughtful words!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear that you are okay. Your blog message has me worried about you too. I'm sure you need this break as does my wallet! ;)

    Love the cookie cake and wish I'd thought of it first. My mom used to give me cookie cakes when she was alive. Very sweet story of why it was made!

    February 14,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear that you are okay. Your blog message has me worried about you too. I'm sure you need this break as does my wallet! ;)

    Love the cookie cake and wish I'd thought of it first. My mom used to give me cookie cakes when she was alive. Very sweet story of why it was made!

    February 14,

    ReplyDelete