Monday, January 2, 2017

NEW YEAR KITCHEN NOTES

I've begun writing this post about a dozen times- starting then restarting, deleting whole paragraphs, changing phrasing, etc...  Its been difficult mostly because these are words that I had hoped would not need writing. I usually do not struggle for the written word, but I have been doing just that- struggling- these past few days- and months even- and in more ways than just one.  The health issue that sort of sidelined me earlier this year has once again resurfaced and I have been forced to take a longer, deeper look into possible root causes.  Unfortunately it is forcing me once again to take a step back and away from my shop. 

I suspected back in October, when the discomfort returned, that this would be the likely path, that I would need to once again step away, but I did not want to discontinue working- so I pressed through. I wanted to devote a month to Melody and also finish the year off, closing out with something fun- a theme I had always wanted to do... a summer 4th of July picnic. But the holidays came and I realized that I just did not have the energy. I hated disappointing everyone- myself included. Believe me when I say that no one is more disappointed than I am in having to step away.  

This post though, is in no way some kind of final farewell. I hope to continue the blog and do doll product reviews and post about fun doll sized finds when I can, as I am still a collector. I still love tiny things and staging scenes- and photographing the dolls. My shop was a justification and vehicle for that. 

I wish I could acknowledge and thank each person individually who has cheered me on and supported my shop over the past 6 years. Doll collectors are truly one of the the loveliest and most caring group of people I have come to know. 

I've enjoyed every minute of the creative process in my shop- from dreaming up the themes and menu lists to developing techniques and making the foods- to staging and photographing the dolls.  Some of my favorite items I made over the years were client requests. It was always so interesting- and there were times when I relished in the challenge of an unusual request. It was part of that creative process that I enjoyed... and it saddens me more than I can express in words here that I have to discontinue doing what I love. 

I am hoping to be able to come back to my shop at some point, as the thought of closing the doors forever seems absurd to me.  So I'll just say it's an extended hiatus this time and hopefully I can get a handle on the health issue and come back renewed with a fabulous laundry list of foods I have been dreaming up and ready to tackle.

Thank You and Happy New year
Teresa

12 comments:

  1. So sad to hear this, but totally understand. It's not until one has a health issue that you can truly appreciate good health. I hope you are feeling better soon. Your work will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. And you are so right about not having an appreciation for good health until it starts to fail. Alas.

      Delete
  2. Teresa,
    I am so sorry to hear this news and wanted to send you my best wishes to you for a speedy recovery and good health. I have gotten (and still get) so much enjoyment from your shop over the years, and I can't thank you enough for your beautiful creations.
    Best wishes,
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words and well wishes. I have gotten just as much enjoyment over the years from my shop- making the foods but also from fellow collectors who get just as excited over the foods as I do.

      Delete
  3. Teresa, my sincere prayers are with you, sending you blessed wishes that you have a successful recovery. Thank you so much for the priceless doll food you have made over the years; for sharing your incredible gifts with me. Nothing is more important then taking care of yourself and spending time with your family. Thank you for touching my life with you generosity and kindness.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking a moment out to write a few encouraging words. It means a lot to me. I really hope that I can get my health and life back on track and get back at some point to the foods. I have so many more ideas!

      Delete
  4. Oh Teresa I was thinking about you today and realized I hadn't checked your blog in awhile and my heart goes out to you! With 5 young kiddos it has pained me to have to step away. Feeling like I might do some now again is invigorating. Looking back I'm so glad I took the break even though it hurt my soul some days. Family and health always come first. You've inspired me and given me such a beautiful picture of future phases of life! My prayers are with you for quick healing and comfort on the days that are hardest. - jes. (lava flower dolls)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jes! We are very much the same, I know. I miss seeing your creations- you are so very talented. I know family and health come first- you have always had your priorities in line. Hopefully we will both find our way back someday to ur shops and and inspire and support each other.

      Delete
  5. When my monthly 15th of the month 10am "Pippaloo" reminder just went off, I realized I hadn't checked your blog this month.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues and will be praying for you and a full quick recovery.
    You make amazing art and I'm sure it hurts your soul to not be able to do it. I am sitting here right now looking at our bakery which is full of so many of your lovely creations. I feel so lucky to have some original Pipaloo items, even some customs made just for us. I treasure them. Thank you so much for and enriching our doll kitchens and our girls imagination.
    Hugs and prayers
    Colleen Avey
    Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Colleen. Your words and support and well wishes really do mean a lot. I truly did struggle for months with the decision. It does feel very empty some days not creating.
      I can just imagine your bakery filled with all the delicious goodies! Part of what I loved about making the foods was that it I knew it was something both moms and their kids would get equally giddy over. Thank you so much for the encouraging word and for supporting me and my shop in the good times and now the not so good times. I do genuinely feel so blessed to have such wonderful clients. Thank You!

      Delete
  6. Teresa, I will miss you and your wonderful tiny pieces of art. It has given me such joy to collect this delicious looking and cute food and I will miss the excitement of trying to get the choice pieces needed to add to my collection.

    Please take care of yourself and I hope that you can return to your art someday.

    Take care,

    Kris

    P.s. I wish that you had a book that would teach how to make this tiny food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will miss seeing all your creations, but I completely understand. Here is hoping you get better soon. Take Care,
    Lesley from NE

    ReplyDelete