Tuesday, January 8, 2019

MY KITCHEN PROJECT





It all started with this Our Generation kitchen set, in all it's red plastic glory.  I think it was about nine years ago-  I offered buying this as an incentive for my youngest daughter to take the training wheels off her bike.  If I recall correctly,  my tactic worked.




It remained red for many years- until I painted the fridge silver and raised it's height for my diner project several years ago.
The other parts never really received as much attention as the fridge honestly and it ultimately ended up in the basement collecting dust.  But I always thought it had potential, it just needed some retooling.

Here's the part where taking pics along the journey would really have been a good idea, as I'm a little hazy on the exact details of what came apart in what way, since this project was started over a year ago.  I do know the set was held together by screws for the most part. And I remember it being relatively easy to disassemble.

I felt like the parts that were the most useful and worth transforming were the microwave, oven, cooktop and dishwasher.  The oven and dishwasher came together as one sort of what I call a base unit. The countertop and back wall with the clock and window was removed completely.  I was able to reuse the sink, cooktop, knobs, handles, drawers, baskets and faucet.  I do know there was some sawing of plastic at one point, I just cannot remember where.  If you have this set and have taken it apart- and have nothing better to do- can you comment below on it because I'd really love to know how exactly it came apart.

Once I had the base unit free I built a wood frame for it to slide into. You can see the backside of it in the pic below.  I raised it up just a bit to give it some height. Of course everything got a few coats of paint.  I sprayed it on using a satin white from the Rustoleum brand.  To mimic glass for the "windows" of the microwave and the oven I found google images of black/ grey sort of static looking lines and printed them out, cut to fit and glued them on.







I wanted an L shape for the space so I built a second cabinet, mostly from scrap wood lying around (except for the cabinet doors). The wood for the countertop I bought online from a specialty mill because I wanted a specific size and thickness.



The wall is foam board which I love to use because it's light weight, and cuts easily.  I painted it with water based enamel- the kind you paint your own walls with.  It needed several coats for decent coverage.  The paint did make the foam board bend a little so I had to add pieces of wood to the length of the foam board along the top and bottom in the back.  They gave the board a little needed weight and stability and a base to sit upright on. I cut a hole for the microwave and added a window using pieces of trim bought at a home center.

The tile backsplash came from the home center too.  It's the peel and stick variety that easily cuts and bends. I saw it and knew right away it would be perfect for my project.



I painted the counter white and gave it a faux marble look.  Glued the faucet (which is from the AG kitchen) to the countertop with epoxy, as well as the stove top.





The best part is that everything can be easily moved and removed. The wall is not attached to the cabinets so I can disassemble it quickly if I want to change scenes.

I'm already working on my next project- something I have wanted to do for a long time as well- a mantle and fireplace. Hopefully that project won't take quite as long to finish as the kitchen did!  Feel free to comment with questions or message me at pippalookitchen @yahoo.com

4 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic- in fact, I wish my own kitchen were so nice and modern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job Teresa! I’ve always liked the OG kitchen but felt it was a tad small. You solved that challenge and more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started something like this a few years ago. I also nearly demolished the whole thing. For the fridge I was super extra, I put magnetic tape in the doors so that I could put real magnets on it. I also took out the water/ice in the door piece and made one that "works" so to speak. I cut the base piece in half, and cut the windows out of the microwave and oven and put in clear plastic I tinted yellow so you can see what's inside. I still haven't finished the whole kitchen, since I'm a student, and I don't have the space, funds or time to complete it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete